torsdag 22. mai 2014

How to brew All-grain without a separate mash-tun, and without using BIAB

I've been brewing All-grain for about a year now. I'm somewhat limited as regards to equipment, as I don't have the luxury of a 3-tier system.

As far as kettles go, I use my two largest ones - A 36 L (9.5 gal.) kettle, and a 16 L (4.2 gal.) kettle.
I've done BIAB, but I feel that the efficiency is a bit low for me, and it's also quite messy (and heavy) when I lift up the bag at the end of the mash.

In this little tutorial, I'll be brewing an American IPA and showing you how I do it.
The beer will be a clone of Kinn's Vestkyst IPA (Westcoast IPA), a masterpiece of a Norwegian beer.

As a European, I know how frustrating it can be to only have recipes in Imperial measurements.
Not that converting them is a problem, but...it is a hassle.
Therefore, I give you both Metric AND Imperial. It's a win/win. (gallons are U.S. gallons).

The recipe is originally for 25 L (6.6 gal.), but I'm brewing 23 L (6.1 gal.) due to batch sparging and lower efficiency.





Recipe


7750 grams / 17.1 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
350 grams / 12.35 oz. Crystal Malt 80L
350 grams / 12.35 oz. Crystal Malt 40L

15 grams / 0.5 oz. Simcoe 30 min
15 grams / 0.5 oz. Centennial 30 min
15 grams / 0.5 oz. Columbus 30 min

15 grams / 0.5 oz. Simcoe 15 min
15 grams / 0.5 oz. Centennial 15 min
15 grams / 0.5 oz. Columbus 15 min

15 grams / 0.5 oz. Simcoe 0 min
15 grams / 0.5 oz. Centennial 0 min
15 grams / 0.5 oz. Columbus 0 min

20 grams / 0.7 oz. Amarillo Dry hop for 10 days (secondary)

Yeast: White Labs WLP007 (recipe calls for WLP013 London ale, but I already had WLP007, so I'm using that)

Mash: 64 C / 147 F for 60 minutes

Boil: 90 minutes

Fermentation: 19 C / 66 F for 4 days in primary, then 19 C / 66 F for 10 days in secondary.







I start by installing my bazooka-filter in the kettle.



Then I add 22 L / 5.8 gal. of cold water and start heating it up. 
With my setup, I heat the water to 70 C / 158 F to reach the correct mash temperature.
I hit 70.2 C / 158.3 F. Think that's close enough.




This next step will depend on the water profile in your area.
I will add 9 grams / 0.3 oz of CaSO4 to lower the pH of the water.

When my water has reached the right temperature, I turn off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes to equalize the temperature.
I measure the temperature again, to see that it is correct.
I then add my grains and stir them in.



After this, I add some more chemicals to the mash. 
For this beer, I'll add 3 grams / 0.1 oz. of CaSO3 and 3 grams / 0.1 oz. of NaHCO3 and stir.

I let it sit for a while before i take a temperature-reading.
Temperature is almost spot on! 64.3 C / 147.7 F (Yay, science!).
Now the mash will sit for 60 minutes.




Meanwhile, I take my other kettle and fill it up with 15,5 L / 4.1 gal. of water (for sparging later) and start heating it up to 78 C / 172 F.
I also add 6 grams / 0.2 oz. of CaSO4. I'm not adding CaSO3 or NaHCO3 to this water, as I don't want to raise the pH.
Also....Have a homebrew. This step is mandatory!




The mash is done, and I'll now transfer the first runnings into my fermentation bucket for temporary storage.
First, I start with the vorlauf. I'll collect some wort until it runs clear and free of husks and other stuff and recirculate this carefully over the grains again.
When running clear, I let it drain into my fermentation bucket.




When all the wort is out, I add half of the sparging water from the other kettle. This water is now holding 78 C / 172 F.
I stir carefully, put the lid back on and wait for 10 minutes.

I repeat the process from earlier. Vorlauf, and drain.
And I do this again with the last of the sparge water.

The wort collected should now be approximately 29 L / 7.6 gal.




Next step, is to remove the grains from the kettle. I will use this same kettle for the boiling.



Also remove the bazooka-filter, and clean out any grains that might be left.





Transfer the temporary stored wort, back into the kettle and start heating it up for the boil.



From here on out, the process is the same as usual.
Only one more mandatory step....have another homebrew!




Boil wort

Add hops



Add whirlfloc and chiller to sterilize.



Chill



Transfer

Aerate

Add yeast

Relax! Don't worry! Have a homebrew!



Cheers!

This method will of course take some extra time compared to doing a 3-tier brew. But if your equipment and space is limited, this is a good option.

From start to finish, I used five and a half hours on this brew.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar